Good Places to Have a Mechanical

Wednesday night I headed over to the Mecca of Bostonian weeknight cycle-training, Eastern Ave. Riding over, I seemed to have some shifting problems going on -- pedal, pedal CLICK pedal pedal CLICK pedal pedal CLICK. For some reason my bike felt like it wanted to shift gears every other pedal stroke. Weird...

Of course any mechanic should have read that last sentence and thought "bad link" to themselves. I got exactly four hard pedal strokes into my first interval, and since my legs were putting out 2000+ watts at that point, BAM, no more chain.

Since I'm too dumb to ride with a chain tool, it looked like my day was over, and I'd be scootering home like the chump I am.

But wait!

What is that I spy in the distance?

A figure, clad almost entirely in white, why, it must be a guardian angel!

And indeed it was. Yash is the man with the tool that saved my day. Tell your (lady) friends!

Comments

Anonymous said…
2000?
Colin R said…
Might have only been 1500 or so, I was just getting started.
Jordan said…
more importantly, what did you clock?
Colin R said…
4:01, and I only felt sick for the next 90 minutes.
Jordan said…
oh its on now - sub 4 next week, with 100 minutes of sickness!
pvb said…
I heard about this, because oddly enough I broke my chain as well on Wednesday. Conveniently, this happened right in front of Cambridge Bicycles. I got it fixed there then went on ride to also encounter the fabled White Buffalo at the water tower.
Yash Katsumi said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yash Katsumi said…
I felt like a super star when the two girls started cheering.

But then they stopped cheering when they realized I was a creepy old man in a white Louis Vuitton white kit.
megA said…
yash: hero to men; fireside cuddler to women
josh said…
this reminds me of the time I broke my chain 30 seconds into the race in maine the day before new gloucester (mostly to cover up the fact I had executed the worst start EVER)...except Yash was nowhere to be seen.

thanks for the link...

Popular posts from this blog

Sam Anderson Cheats at Mountain Bike Racing

US Cyclocross Nationals Travesty Report: Junior Girls

Do-It-Yourself March Cycling Blog Post