The Future of Crossresults.com

Back in the late fall of 2006, I started cross, started a blog, and started a website. All of these things are still alive, much to my surprise, 4.5 years later.

But it was dicey for bit, there.

I like to use the "transitional period in my life" excuse for pretty much everything around here, but in this case it's spot on. You want to throw everything into your life into stark relief, try breaking up with a girl you spent the last seven years of your life with. You'll question your job, your hobbies, your future, and pretty much every life decision you've ever made or plan to make.

And that's kind of awesome.

I'm serious. If your life doesn't hold up to scrutiny, then WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU DOING WITH IT? You only get one, you know. You could get your teeth knocked out by a car tomorrow. Or something actually catastrophic could happen. Quit having dreams, and start making plans, because you never know when it could be too late.

But anyway, there ain't nothing like a woman walking out on you to ramp up the introspection. Don't knock it til you try it.

Thus endeth my acknowledgment of having emotions, thoughts or any other internal complexity beyond converting coffee and techno into code, watts, and bike handling. We now return to your regularly scheduled bro-tastic blogversation:

"So dude, I was like, I wanna ride bikes and program computers, right?"
"Yeah guy."
"But I also have this hobby thing that's kinda like, the ultimate fusion of those things, bro. So maybe instead of talking about how one day I might figure out a way to make money off it, I should get off my ass and start self-actualizing before it's too late, huh?"
"Self-what-ing?"
"GETTING MY SHIT TOGETHER."
"Word. Bro."
[Fist Bump]

End scene.

So shit was gotten together, emails were sent, valuations were crafted, phone calls were made, and when the coffee grounds settled I was left with an offer from BikeReg.com to buy the site and work full-time for them.

Where exactly we're going with this isn't entirely clear yet; the basic premise was, if this is how awesome I can make the site working 10-hour weeks at night during cross season, then imagine how awesome this thing could be if it actually had forty hours a week and a paycheck behind it.

And, in 2011, you gotta admit that "internet awesomeness" is basically "value." The more you love cross, the more you wanna race cross, so the more races you're gonna register for on BikeReg! And then you see your results on crossresults, which gets you more excited to race cross again, and that goes into a feedback loop that ends with you spending 110% of your disposable income on bike racing, which is disturbing yet awesome totally normal.

All in all, I think we can agree that this was an AWESOME INVESTMENT by BikeReg.com and that 'cross has now officially changed my life and I'm totally psyched for it. If you bought me a beer back in November, find me in the next month and I'll return the favor.

Comments

Mike said…
That's awesome. There's really nothing else to be said. Congrats dude!
iamTedKing said…
Congrats man. That's big. I didn't buy you a beer in November, but we can pretend I did and I will cash in on my beer in reciprocity ummm whenever.
Jess said…
Woo! Congrats!
great on you sir!
great on you!

respect
fatmarc
Markie Mark said…
WOOT! Congrats dude!
cp said…
I go off the grid for a month and this is what I come back to. Unbelievable.
RMM said…
YOU ARE A SELL OUT!

Glad that you didn't sell it to the cabal. So maybe you didn't sell out after all.
gewilli said…
next step, world domination!
Big Bikes said…
That video is by far the best use of a Helmet Hero...or four to six Helmet Heroes I have ever seen.

What were we talking about?

- t
Mark V said…
Well done
This is fantastic! You deserve every bit of hard-won satisfaction and accomplishment. I can't wait to see what happens to CR.com now. Well played, sir, well played.
mike said…
What a great reward for so many long nights. Good work, buddy.
Dave said…
[fist bump]
Julia said…
What most everybody said and then some! Quite proud of you.
Christine said…
Take your passion and MAKE IT HAPPEN.
Alby King said…
Hell yep, this is the way things are s'pose to be.
James Scott said…
Congratulations. Now where's the damn API?
Chris said…
Sweet man, congrats! Livin the dream....
Kris Thompson said…
Living the dream!

Kris Thompson
303cycling.com
pblair12 said…
This is really great news! The of the best things to happen to cycling are joining forces!

Colin, it is time to create mtb-results :)
Kudos, and cool that you found crossresults a great new home!

Josh - Cyclocross Magazine
Unknown said…
Good for you, Colin.
Does that mean that I can get paid for submitting results now?
ringcycles said…
I see through your plan. This is really another step toward NECX domination of the cyclocross universe. Myerson as Ming the Merciless. We are all your minions.

Seriously, congrats on the gig. Colorado's loss is our gain.
Smuckers said…
I'm a new follower of your blog, very awesome and inspirational...I'm kind of in the same boat...looking to take biking somewhere, well essentially Pro...Follow my blog where I keep everyone updated with my journey through getting nasty at mountain biking!
Toby said…
Wicked Awesome! Congratuations. Sorry, I'm gonna miss the party on Sat...I'll toast you a celebratory beer next time.
toby
rick is! said…
very sweet. congrats!
Adventuretwin said…
You're my hero.
Congrats! I'll buy YOU a beer just because this is the way things are supposed to happen. Don't forget to race. If I am near you @ anymore finish lines then I will know that you are not training properly. Work & women are not an acceptable excuse.
Colnago said…
Well done from New Zealand.
solobreak said…
Here we are 10.5 years later. Have you ever considered making any or all of your vast trove of bikeracing demographic data part of a public dataset?
Colin R said…
@solobreak I should probably come up with a way to dump it into whatever the kids use for data analysis these days. I think that's Tableau?

Popular posts from this blog

Sam Anderson Cheats at Mountain Bike Racing

US Cyclocross Nationals Travesty Report: Junior Girls

Do-It-Yourself March Cycling Blog Post