The other day, with 1.5 laps left in a cat 3 crit, the guy in front of me reached down into his bottle cage, grabbed his bottle, and threw it wildly onto the sidewalk, almost hitting a spectator.
This process caused him to open up a two or three bike length gap in front of him which he then had to pedal hard to close... almost certainly negating any gains he made by losing the weight of the bottle for the final sprint.
So I'm pretty confident that this particular bottle-throwing instance was a poor decision, but it motivated me to look into the
actual savings of the bottle-throw, which is really just an excuse to blog about PHYSICS!! And who doesn't love MATH?!
IMPORTANT NOTE: Throwing your bottle creates trash. Trash creates unhappy residents on race courses. Unhappy residents create problems for race promoters. If you're throwing your bottle onto someone's lawn -- you are the kind of racer that all promoters hate. Don't do it.
The Bearscat 50 was awesome. Will I ever have time to write about it? Probably not! But Christin won so that's all you really need to know.
The reason I have no time to write about 5+ hours of slippery bike racing is that I have to make phone calls (nooooooooo) and write emails (okaaaaaaaaay) and visit businesses (!!!!!!!) to make the Greenfield Crit happen along with Lydia Hausle and the Back Bay Cycling Club.
This is the grandest race promotion venture I have ever been part of. We have been to TOWN MEETINGS! We have passed out flyers to ABUTTERS who were either CONFUSED, SUPPORTIVE, or CRANKY! We applied for GRANTS! We have a CLINIC! We have EQUAL PRIZE MONEY! Thanks to Lydia this is WAY MORE TIGHT than [insert Weasels event here] and you don't need to worry about the venue changing or US RUNNING OUT OF TOILET PAPER! It is going to BE SO AWESOME THAT EVAN HUFF IS COMING OUT OF RETIREMENT FOR IT.
Like any first year event, we HAVE NO IDEA WHO IS COMING AND IT'…
Midnight Ride is one of my favorite cross races, but I never blog about it because it comes right before Night Weasels, and for some mysterious reason I always have a lot of things that seem more important than blogging around that time. But not this year!
(I wonder what Night Weasels task I'm forgetting right now)
The reason I love Midnight Ride, of course, is that the course is 85% turning, which makes the other 15% sprinting, and those are the only two things I can do in a cyclocross race. Yeah baby!
This year they changed the holeshot from "sketchy gravel chicane in the dark" to "back to back 180s in the light" which was ... differently sketchy. My scrubby third row start spot (sigh) led to frenzied sprinting into frenzied brake-jacking into frenzied argy-bargy turning -- but somehow I filtered through without incident and headed out into lap one right behind Chandler Delinks and Kevin Sweeney in the top 20.