Thursday, May 7, 2009

I Wrecked My Knee/For The Dover TT

See, it's funny 'cuz it rhymes!

But it's not funny because it's true.

So last Thursday I had a little knee/handlebar incident. It was your typical knee-to-mtb-shifter impact, cause by dropping the chain under extreme torque and leaving me almost unable to stand for several minutes. But I was able to get back on the bike, suck it up, and eventually it "loosened up" enough to finish the ride. So I had a massive bruise/puncture wound on my kneecap, whatever.

Of course, the bruise hurt a bit whenever my knee moved, so all my epic weekend mileage had a bit of a dull pain to it. But it was dull, you see? I managed eight hours of moderate intensity with only minor discomfort. So we're good!

Then last night I headed down to the Dover TT because I need to get in some seriously non-fun above-LT work... and while the Dover TT doesn't involve a number on your back, there's still a third party with a stopwatch which is close enough to a race to get me AMPED. (WATTS!)

The ride down was kind of a drag because I forgot my food at home and was kind of bonking, plus my knee was feeling at least as bad as it had on the weekend despite 2 more days of rest. I was almost feeling bad enough to turn around and go home when I got to Dover, but then I ate a Clif Bar and saw some of the MRC dudes, and I realized I did want to throw down, after all.

The results of said throwing-down were not very good -- 17 seconds behind my best time from last year, which sounds good only if my goal was "be as fast as last year," which it definitely isn't. I was beaten by a new Goguen, though, which is exciting. The only aero thing he had was shoe covers... so I've got no excuses.

Post-race, I started a 20-mile trek back to Somerville, and as soon as the adrenaline wore off something was wrong with my knee. "Tempo" became "soft-pedaling" which became "standing and turning my hip to push my leg over the top" which finally turned into "one-legged drills." By the time I got home, I knew that my awesome weekend plans (Sterling 4/5 Race followed by THE GAP RIDE) were toast and if I wasn't patient I could be flushing much of the MTB season as well.

In retrospect, what the hell was I thinking?

10 comments:

Big Bikes 5/07/2009 7:51 PM  

That's weird man, usually the bumps don't lead to repetitive motion type issues...usually.

But then again you did wail the hell out your knee at HP, and you were crying like a big baby for what seemed like hours. I was about ready to get one of those Baby Buckets with the instructions on the side telling you how to properly dispatch a baby by inserting it head first in the bucket after filling it half way with water. I would have to get an extra large custom jobby though, because as illustrated by my photo-modeling your data-filled-enormous-cranium would not quite fit in the standard model.

Seriously though, ice up, rest up, and heal up.

-t

Nathaniel Ward 5/07/2009 8:23 PM  

Rest, ice, rest, ice, rest, ice...you know how it goes. 5 days or a week off now is better than all of June off later. Bummer, heal up.

matt 5/07/2009 9:25 PM  

take it from me (and nate)... rest now. f sterling and the other shit.

I hurt my knee march 1st... didn't rest. still hurts.

Luke S 5/08/2009 12:23 AM  

This is why I'm scared of mountain biking, and will stick to equally life threatening collisions with pavement on small wheeled sticks. With long metal poles in my hand. In a thunderstorm.

jcox 5/08/2009 8:57 AM  

this sounds strangely . . . familiar.
bang knee
ride on the road
feel soreness
bike anyway
continue to feel soreness
damn, this could ruin my summer!

mkr 5/08/2009 11:24 AM  

You probably have residual swelling which is causing the patella to track wrong, and cause some groovy pain. I'd load up on Ibuprofen and ice it down. Also get a foam roller and start doing the IT band tango. I also use it to massage the hams, quads and calves.

You slugs oughta come out the the CBTT in scenic Concord. I'm also thinking about getting an informal/secret MTB TT going. Oh crap, did I just say that? I'm terrible with secrets.

Colin R 5/08/2009 11:36 AM  

mkr -- I don't have a road license (seriously) so the CBTT would be like... $20 or something for me to do. Whereas dover is free. Plus I have an established/terrible PR there I can beat to make myself feel better.

The prob with an informal mtb TT would finding a location that *wasn't* full of dog-walkers/hikers on a weekday night. Nothing shuts your event down faster than pissed-off dog walkers :(

But if you have a location in mind -- I'm totally in. Provided I regain the ability to pedal someday.

Alex 5/08/2009 12:59 PM  

Is this the same knee you sliced up before great glen two years ago?

Colin R 5/08/2009 1:57 PM  

Nope, it's the other knee. Does this mean I qualify for old man status now?

gewilli 5/08/2009 2:22 PM  

arnica montana - get some, the pellets and topical stuff - the stuff flat out works...

it is the only homeopathic stuff that doesn't stay in stock - because it is one of the only ones that you really actually notice working... but keep doing the ice and stuff...

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP