Bonus Content

I know there's some nordies still reading this, and I'm sure many of you enjoy opportunities to read/pick apart my best attempts at prose. So, you might be interested in an article I wrote on ski throwing over on nordic commentary project.

In other boring commuter news, anyone remember that crazy thunderstorm that came through Boston around 5:30 yesterday? Yeah, I was trying to ride home in that. I was not successful.

It was a cool experience, since I didn't get electrocuted. It wasn't even raining in Inman Square at 5:30, but when I looked up Hampshire Street toward Somerville I was like, "hmm, I can't really see the buildings down the street so well through that fog."

Then I noticed the "fog" was coming towards me at 25 mph, and was actually a wall of rain.

I couldn't find an overhang in time so I ducked behind the downwind side of a building. For the first few minutes, it was raining sideways so hard that I fared much better than the mass of people I could see across the street huddling under an awning as rain flew under it. Eventually the leading wind gusts passed by, and I was forced to find better shelter.

All in all it was a pretty cool thing to be outside in. I especially liked how all the bike commuters-- who ordinarily don't talk to each other-- were very chatty as we rode directly at the black clouds just before the downpour started. The camaraderie of shared stupidity, I guess!

Comments

ElZo said…
We must commute on pretty similar routes; I pass through Inman on Hampshire street when I bike to work.

I rode to work yesterday morning, but when I looked out the window at 5:30 and saw the world ending, I called my girlfriend and begged her to come pick me and my bike up. Of course, it was nearly over by the time she got there.
Anonymous said…
I clipped a copy of the endo-nose wheelie pic from your blog for my myspace page. It accurately depicted how i traveled down one of the Putney descents last week. Hope you don't mind.
Colin R said…
No problem Steve. I know that water bar very well; Linnea actually crashed there last year, finished the race, and then couldn't ride for over two weeks.

I actually wanted to leave a comment on your blog the other day but I didn't have a myspace account, so no go. You said: We had finally come to the realization that an hour long endurance event was won or lost with an anaerobic sprint at the start. .. which I firmly disagree with. Especially on a course like Putney, with that much climbing and lots of places to pass -- going overly anaerobic at the start isn't necessary, and often hurts you. Ride your own race and pass tired suckers on lap 2.
Luke S said…
I was doing rollerski intervals in that madness. Call me an idiot but they were fun.
Anonymous said…
In the beginner races, more for the women who start after everyone than the guys, there are two reasons why getting out in the beginning matters. First, there isn't as much time to catch up in a two lap race. More importantly, there is a good deal of riders who struggle with the tighter sections. Coyote Hill was the best example, but you noted "twisty" sections at Putney as well. If you get stuck behind a straggler in those sections, it is difficult to make that up.

So i suppose i agree that it may not be necessary, but its the best way to make sure you don't get separated from the leaders too early and lose ground you can't make up later.

Popular posts from this blog

Sam Anderson Cheats at Mountain Bike Racing

US Cyclocross Nationals Travesty Report: Junior Girls

Do-It-Yourself March Cycling Blog Post